Saturday, July 17, 2010

battle board WIP 2





I had a lot of really good responses to my last post. Unfortunately I jumped in and painted the thing up this morning. In hind sight, I wish I had kept the board in an ash wastes motif, but barreling ahead like normal I broke out my airbrush(just use the brush it comes with) and the brown paint from the scenery pack and had at it. At the moment, the board is off the dinning room table, the floors are mopped, and I think I may engender some more good will by cooking my wife a special dinner. I may even offer to take a dance class with her after this. I cannot describe the look of horror on her face when she saw the thing on the glass table.

Some great blogs to read on painting up one of these:
I speed paint, so trying to paint this thing was like an endurance race run by a sprinter. My arms are so tired I cannot believe it right now, and I am still not totally satisfied with how the thing is turning out. One of my problems was painting it in sections, and running out of wash half way through. Some good advice on the other blogs, just paint this thing as one whole table and avoid the tiled look that min has. One possible solution is to make another wash and even it out. I am tempted to try pastels, but as you can see from the photos, our condo is filled with white furniture, so I may have to pass on that. Maybe a heavy dry brushing would help. I know it needs a matte finish, but I think that will happen post pigments (perhaps) and post flocking.

I think ground up pastels could really work here, as would some dried grass. I have not mastered flocking, so there is some trepidation there.

I am going to wait this time and let the community guide me on next steps. My arms can't take any more dry brushing anyway!


2 comments:

  1. Looking great. You've got a really nice variation in color that gives the board depth and complexity. The colors look really quite rich. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good - I think I prefer the red rather than grey board.

    Tony
    http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete